Placeholder for Notification

Placeholder for Product overview Hero

Placeholder for Product overview Intro

Feed-in Tariffs (FiT)

Get paid for the electricity you generate and any excess that you feed back into the grid.

Already a customer?

You can register to manage your FiT account online, where you can enter readings and review your payments.

Register your account online

What are Feed-in Tariffs?

The Government introduced FiT to encourage us to all to install energy devices such as solar panels and wind turbines.

These energy devices will help the UK meet its target of making 15% of all energy renewable by 2020. E.ON is a mandatory FiT supplier and registered energy suppliers like us will make payments to you on behalf of the Government for the electricity you generate for your home.

Any that you've not used can be 'fed' into the national grid for other people to use. If you're not an E.ON customer, you can check to see if your current electricity supplier is registered to offer FiT.

What do I need to have to get FiT?

You'll need to have:
  • Solar PV panels
  • Wind turbines
  • Anaerobic digestion
  • Hydro-electric
  • Small-scale micro combined heat and power (CHP) units (up to 2kW only)

And you must:

  • Generate 5MW or less
  • Have had your equipment installed on or after 15th January 2016 but prior to 1st April 2019
  • Have your installation accredited by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) or a Renewables Obligation Order (ROO FiT)
  • Apply to register with the FiT Scheme before 1st April 2020

How do I apply for the FiT scheme?

Make sure you only send copies of documents, as we can’t return the originals to you. If any of the requested documents aren’t provided or your details are completed incorrectly then your application may be returned with confidential information destroyed. You’ll then have to re-apply.

If you've sent in your application request alongside a valid MCS certificate, then we'll be able to set your eligibility date even if you need to re-apply.

Completing your application

2. If you're VAT registered and exporting electricity

You'll need to complete our self billing agreement form. 

Self billing agreement form

3. Feed-in Tariff application form

Complete our application form and return with your application documents enclosed.

FiT application form

After you've applied

Once the application process is complete, we'll send you a welcome pack. This contains your FiT plan and your Terms and Conditions which you will need to sign, date and return to us within 10 working days. Once we've received your application and set up your FiT account, you'll need to start providing meter readings every three months. Your reading date can be found on your FiT plan.

Want to know more?

  • You can find most answers to your Feed-in Tariff queries in our FAQs section.
  • You can complete our online form.
  • You can call us on 0345 301 4884. We're here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturdays 8am-4pm.


Frequently asked questions

What's an EPC and how do I get one?

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate and shows how energy efficient your building is. It’s valid for 10 years from the point of issue.

The rating on your EPC certificate can directly affect the rate you’re paid for your Feed-in Tariff, it’s therefore important that you provide the latest version of the certificate at the point of your application. If you don't have an EPC, you'll find some tools on the Energy Saving Trust website, which you can use to give you an idea of what level your property is at. Because your EPC rating can directly affect the rate you get paid in the FiT Scheme, you may wish to make some energy efficiency improvements to your property before having your installation commissioned.

Important: If a valid EPC isn’t provided at the time of your application you’ll get the lower rate for the duration of your installation’s eligibility period. Unless the property is EPC exempt, in which case you’ll need to provide written confirmation from an accredited energy assessor at the point of applying, to confirm this.

To get an EPC, you'll need to find an accredited domestic/non-domestic energy assessor by searching online or looking in the phone book.

What's an MCS certificate?

MCS stands for 'Micro Generation Certification Scheme', it’s a certificate to confirm that your installation has been enrolled within the Micro Generation Certification scheme and has been installed by an accredited MCS certified installer.

The MCS is the independent Government backed scheme that certifies micro generation products such as solar photovoltaic panels, hydro, anaerobic digestion, wind or micro combined heat and power. This is part of the Government funded ‘Feed-in Tariff (FiT)’ program and is an element of the UK’s overall effort in meeting EU 2020 Renewable Obligations targets.

If your installation was fitted after 15 July 2009 and has a declared net capacity of 50kW or under, it must be MCS accredited to qualify for FiT payments. If your device is MCS accredited, the company that installed it should only provide you with an MCS certificate on the completion of your installation.

I’ve applied, what’s next?

The date from which you’re eligible to receive FiT payments for the electricity generated and exported is known as the eligibility date.

Please note: for extensions to existing FiT accredited installations, the eligibility date is considered to be the date the extension was commissioned. Extensions commissioned on or after the 15 January 2016 are not eligible for the Feed-in Tariff scheme.

If you’re applying to us for MCS-certified registration (rather than Ofgem for ROO-FiT accreditation) then your eligibility date will be the date we receive your written FiT application request inclusive of a valid MCS certificate.

Different rules on eligibility date also apply to ROO-FiT accreditation, community organisations and schools. For more information please take a look at the Ofgem website.

Once we’ve got your application we’ll carry out some verification checks and if we don’t already have a reading for the day we received your application, we’ll also contact you to get a start reading from your FiT meter.

When we’ve got your meter reading we’ll register your details and send you a copy of your FiT welcome pack. This includes the FiT acceptance plan and Terms and Conditions, which you’ll need to sign, date and send back to us within 10 days. This can be done either by post or by email as detailed within the welcome pack.

It’s important that you return this document to us within 10 days. Your account isn’t live until your signed and dated FiT plan has been received by us.

Please note: for new installations commissioned before 1 April 2019 we must have received the application prior to 1 April 2020 or they will no longer be eligible for the Feed-in Tariff scheme.

How much will I get paid?

The rates you’ll be paid are detailed on your FiT acceptance plan and are based on the details supplied as part of your registration. Your Generation Tariff and/or Export Tariff are RPI linked and may be subject to an annual change by the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State could change the Generation Tariff and/or Export Tariff at any point. If this happens, these changes will be reflected in your next payment statement following the tariff change.

If you’ve applied for deemed export this will be calculated by reference to a percentage (shown on your FiT plan) which is determined by the Secretary of State and is published no less than 1 month before the beginning of each FiT year (which begins on the 1st April). The Secretary of State may amend these percentages. Any changes will take effect in your next payment statement.

You can find the latest tariff tables for the FiT scheme on the Ofgem website.

Will my electricity meter work differently?

Your electricity meter will continue to record the electricity you use, but it may tick over at a slower rate when your panels are generating electricity, it may even stop for a short space of time if you're generating more than you're using.

If your electricity meter stops overnight, or starts to go backwards please call us as we’ll need to change your meter.

You can call our appointment booking team on 0115 995 5291. We're here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm.

Will I have to pay tax on my FiT payments?

No, the FiT scheme is a non-taxable green energy scheme. If your company is VAT registered then VAT will be added to your export payment. You’ll need to complete a self-billing agreement application form and declare any VAT received to HMRC as part of your tax return.

What are the financial benefits of solar panels?

As soon as your panels are installed you’ll be able to use the electricity they generate, so you may use less electricity from your energy company.

If your panels are eligible and you apply for the FiT scheme, your FiT provider will make payments to you on behalf of the Government for any electricity generated.

If applicable, you could also be eligible for an export payment based on the energy that your panels export back to the grid.

Can I pay my energy bills with the money I earn from FiT?

No, your FiT payment and utility bills are separate and can't be offset against one another so you'll still need to pay your energy bill as normal.

What happens if I have more than one device?

You can apply for FiT payments for all of your installations, as long as all together they're not capable of producing more than 5MW of electricity. You may get paid different rates for each installation depending on the tariff set at the point of eligibility for each installation.

Why should I manage my account online?

If you sign up to manage your account online you'll be able to:

  1. Enter your FiT meter readings online.
  2. Get a summary of your FiT payments.
  3. Keep track of the amount of electricity you’ve generated.
  4. View your FiT plan.
  5. View information about your account 24/7.

How do I set up my online account?

1. Go to and enter your FiT account number (e.g. 012345678910).

2. Enter your details and we'll send you a confirmation email with a link to activate your new account.

3. When you receive the email, just click on the link to finish the setup - and you're ready to go.

If you already have an online account you can login here. We’ll start making FiT payments quarterly, as long as you provide valid readings. We’ll either deposit these into your bank account, or send you a cheque in the post.

We have a timeframe of when we need a reading (the meter reading window) this can be found on your FiT plan, which gives you 22 days to call us, or you can log in to your account and enter the reading online.

Do you read my FiT meter(s)?

We need to read your FiT meter(s) so we can verify the readings that you’ve previously provided to us. As a FiT licensee, we're obligated to read your meter(s) in person at least once every two years. If we can’t get access to read your FiT meter(s) it may result in your FiT payments being withheld until we can verify a reading.

What happens if I’m out when you visit or you can’t get to my meter?

We’ll leave a card for you to contact us and re-book an appointment within the timeslots available.

What happens if my reading doesn’t fall in line with previous readings I’ve given?

Your FiT payments will remain withheld until we receive a photograph which will allow us to verify your readings. Please send this via email to or by post to E.ON – FiT Team, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW.

If you miss a FiT payment during this period, you’ll be paid in full on your next payment date providing we’ve obtained a reading.

What happens if I need to transfer my installation to another person?

You’ll need to call us on 0345 301 4884 so we can send you out the relevant forms. We’re here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm.

How do I update my details?

If you want to change your bank details or the way you’re paid, let us know as we can make these changes for you over the phone.

If you want to nominate someone else to receive your payments, call us on 0345 301 4884 and we’ll send you the relevant transfer form. We’re here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm.

Once you’ve completed the form you’ll need to send it back along with any other requested documentation. You can email or send it by post to E.ON Energy - FiT Transfers, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW.

I'm a landlord. Can I claim FiT payments for renewable installations at the properties I rent out?

Yes, as long as your installations(s) qualify for FiT payments and you register the account as normal.

Can builders get FiT payments if they install renewable technology on new build properties?

Under the Code for Sustainable Homes, builders can claim FiT payments on new build properties. The Government sees this as a good way of helping builders meet the costs of building Zero Carbon Buildings.

Can I remove the solar panels?

Important: If you remove the solar panels they’ll no longer be eligible for the FiT scheme or FiT payments. Please also be aware that the panels can’t be transferred to another site and be eligible again for the FiT scheme.

If you remove the solar panels you must let us know by emailing or by writing to us at E.ON Energy, FiT, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW and as a minimum, send us a combination of the following:

  1. Written confirmation from the installer/decommissioning certificate.
  2. Photographs of the site and dismantled equipment.
  3. Keep track of the amount of electricity you’ve generated.
  4. Disposal evidence (if the equipment is being scrapped), for example signed documentation or certification from the transportation or disposal company who are removing the waste.

What’s a multisite generator (MSG)?

If you’re responsible for 25 sites or more, you fall into this group and you’ll be known as an MSG and things work a little differently.

If you’d like more information about what it means if you’re classed as an MSG, then please give us a call on 0345 301 4884. We're here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturdays 8am-4pm.

How can I get in contact with you?

You can get in touch by completing our online form, or you can call us on 0345 301 4884 to discuss anything regarding your FiT account or application. We're here Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturdays 8am-4pm.

How do I make a complaint about my FiT?

If you have a complaint about our FiT scheme service, please contact our Feed-in Tariff team:

  • by phone on 0345 301 4884
  • in writing to: Feed-in Tariff Complaints, E.ON Energy Solutions Ltd, Caxton Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire MK41 0EW
  • or by emailing us at

We'll manage your complaint in line with our complaints handling procedure. If we've not resolved your complaint within eight weeks or we’ve sent you a deadlock letter you can contact the Energy Ombudsman, a free independent service to resolve complaints with energy suppliers. You can contact the Energy Ombudsman by phone on 0330 440 1624, or by emailing

What's on my weekly FiT report?

We’ve designed a reference guide to help you understand your weekly FiT meter status report. The guide explains all columns on the report, including the results of any meter inspections, and the steps you need to take to keep your FiT accounts running smoothly.

See our weekly FiT report guide

Placeholder for Related Content

Placeholder for Product Overview Listing