Placeholder for Notification
Placeholder for Product overview Hero
Placeholder for Product overview Intro
Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)
What is SEG?
You must also:
- Be the owner of the generation unit
- Have a generation unit with a capacity of up to 5MW
- Have a Meter that is able to record energy that’s exported to the grid, on a half-hourly basis
- Have an installation that is certified to the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme), or equivalent, standards
- Not be getting FiT Export Payments already
- Not be receiving SEG payments from another licensee.
How do I apply for SEG?
Once you've completed our application form and sent it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the required documentation, it'll take us 3-4 weeks to process your application.
- A completed application form
- A valid MCS Certificate
- Proof of Identification (I.D) - a photocopy of your passport, driving licence or another I.D. document issued by an official body
- A photograph of your meter, showing the meter serial number, make, model and export reading
- If you're renting You must be able to prove that you own the generation unit. We'll need a signed and dated lease from both the landlord and tenant confirming tenant has permission to generate.
- If you've battery storage on site, we'll need a schematic diagram and Battery Storage Declaration form
- If you're VAT registered, we'll need a self-billing form
After you've received your SEG Plan you'll need to provide:
- A photo of your export meter showing the starting read, each time we request this from you.
What happens next?
What’s on offer?
Get in touch
If you’ve had your renewable technology installed and have queries around SEG, you can complete our online form. You can also call us on 0345 301 4884. We’re here Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.
The legal stuff
Frequently asked questions about SEG
Do I need to contact you with my Export Readings?
If we can’t obtain the export readings from your meter remotely, we’ll ask you to provide these every six months or send somebody round to collect these from your meter.
How often will I receive SEG payments?
We’ll pay you for the electricity you export once a year . However, we’ll try to obtain a reading once every six months, either by asking you to provide us with a meter reading or by sending somebody round to collect one. This is to make sure your export reads are advancing and there’s no fault with the meter.
What if I am VAT Registered? (Businesses only)
The SEG Scheme is a non-taxable green energy scheme. If your company is VAT registered then VAT will be added to your export payment. You’ll need to complete a self-billing agreement form and declare any VAT to HMRC as part of your tax return.
I am supplied by another company but I’d like my SEG with you. Is that possible?
Yes, you can have different suppliers for your import electricity and for your SEG Payments.
What if I change who my energy provider is?
If you change your energy supplier you’ll need to let us know as soon as possible. If we are not told, we may not be able to make your SEG payment.